Baby shoes are cute and parents are eager to get their baby their first pair of shoes as early as under one year old. But, what are the best shoes for young babies? Here is our guide for choosing the perfect baby shoes for your child, including some of the best baby shoes on the market.
How to Choose the Best Baby Walking Shoes
The potential effects that baby shoes could have on developing young children’s feet have been debated for years. So, it is crucial to know when and how to pick the right shoes for your baby. According to experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies don’t need to wear shoes until they begin to walk. And, your baby will likely take their first steps between 9-15 months.
Once your baby has taken the first step, then getting a comfortable pair of shoes for them is the first priority. Plus, it also needs to provide some grip on slippery surfaces. When choosing baby walking shoes, here are some important criteria you should look for:
- Flexible & nonslip. You should be able to bend the toe of the shoe up about 40 degrees easily. Also, you should look for baby shoes with good traction to help keep your baby on their feet. Non-skid leather or rubber soles, especially those with grooves, are perfect to keep your little one from slipping.
- Padding. Baby walking shoes should offer firm support but be padded on the heel backs and around the ankles to minimize rubbing. Plus, it also needs a soft bottom inside for extra comfort.
- Extra secure closures. Whether they’re fastened with laces, Velcro, or snaps, make sure your baby’s shoes are easy to put on but also not so easy to come off when walking. In other words, no slip-on shoes even though they are easy to put on and off.
Best Styles of Baby Shoes for Under 1-Year-Old Babies
Nowadays, every adult shoe section has a baby version. So, here are the popular styles for baby girl shoes:
- Mary Janes
- Sandals with ankle straps
- Pre-walking sneakers
- Walking sneakers secured with laces, Velcro, or snaps
On the other hand, baby boy shoes can be a bit more simple. But, it doesn’t mean that it can’t look cool. These are this year trending baby boy shoes:
- Pre-walking shoes like high-tops
- Lumberjack, cowboy, and lace-up cold weather boots
- Sneakers secured with laces, Velcro, or snaps
Best Baby Walking Shoes of 2021
Designed specifically with the comfort and stability of tiny toes, these stylish shoes for babies are made to get your child off on the right foot. Below are some of the best baby shoes for under one-year-old babies.
Solid Glitter Moccasins ($16.95)
Let your baby’s first steps wrapped and protected in these cute radiant shoes. At a very affordable price and made of soft material, these shoes are here to make every step of your little baby girl safe and stylish. And, in case you want different styles, the Black Ribbon tied laces and Leopard print is also available. Plus, these shoes have full size ranges from 0-18M on babychortle.com.
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Cribster Shoes ($25.00)
You’re never too old or too young for Converse’s classic Chuck Taylor All-Stars. These shoes are made with a flexible canvas fabric and terry cloth insole. And, they also come with a Velcro front panel, which is perfect for slipping on and off your baby’s feet.
Carter’s Kids Glen Sneaker ($23.64)
These sweet sneakers feature a colorful rainbow arch across the top. Made with flexible outer soles and hook-and-loop closure, you don’t have to worry if they can fall off while walking. Plus, we also love the nubby and denim-like material on these cute sneaks.
Let us know if you have any questions about choosing baby shoes in the comments!
Related article: Top 5 Best Pacifiers for Babies in 2021 | Baby Products